Sunday, September 09, 2012

Start of my Cambridge year


This is the first time that I’ve been properly alone in Cambridge since I got here.  There’s no parents who have made arrangements to meet up tomorrow, and there’s no fellow college mates who want to lunch.

While I was busy with all these meet-ups, I actually looked forward to the moments when I would be alone.  Then, I could actually think and unwind.  I needed my own space.

Or so I thought, until I said goodbye to the fellow college mates after dinner.  Faced with the prospect of being alone in my room with no internet, I suddenly felt a sense of crushing loneliness.  For a moment, I thought I understood Voo, Ten’s friend.  I thought I understood what it was like to be alone in a foreign country.

Now, after a bath and with the radio on, I don’t think I understand Voo as much as I thought I did.  Yes, I am alone, but I am not estranged.  I know where everything is, including entertainment is if I want it.  I already have a favourite music station – Star Radio for Cambridge.  I have college mates that I am reasonably familiar with just a phone call away.  And I have already made connections, for better or for worse, with the staff of the college, and my fellow college mates, and I’m sure if I asked I would be able to get in touch with the people at the business school as well.

Right now, I have the luxury of choice.  And I intend to exercise it while I can.  After all, when everyone comes in I might not even get a moment to myself.  It might be work and projects and meals and activities and generally being occupied all hours of the day.  I might have internet!  I might be chatting with people a long distance away!  Or even close by.  One never knows.

No comments: